25 Jan

Get ready for week 2

Jesse and I really enjoyed meeting all of you and answering your questions about J202. Hopefully by the end of that first lab, you were feeling settled and ready for everything ahead of you in the next few months.
I’ll be sending out and posting a newsletter on Fridays to offer some reminders of deadlines and help you start thinking about the week ahead. Here’s your first one…
What we’ll talk about next week:
The IS, media writing, leads and responsibility
Lecture Monday 9:30 a.m. in Vilas 2195 (no quiz this week but come ready to talk about current events, the readings and any questions you might have)
What to do for Monday:
Make sure you’ve done everything for Week 1 (you’ll be signing a form saying you’ve completed it all)
Do the Week 2 readings
Start following the #J202 hashtag on Twitter
Individual story:
Nothing due yet, but you should start brainstorming ideas for your topic. Two people can’t cover the same thing — that means the first person who pitches an idea gets it, so come up with a few ideas.
If you want to come talk with me about your idea and pitch, sign up for a time in special office hours on Friday, Feb. 1.
Portfolio blog:
Submit your portfolio blog URL to the Google Form by 11:59 p.m. Wednesday
Professional practice events (remember you need to attend two, you can go to more for extra credit):
Wednesday, Jan. 30, 8:30-10:30 a.m.: Wisconsin Broadcasters Association Career Fair, Madison Concourse Hotel
Many more to come! Keep an eye on the calendar on the website for all of the listings.
Other notes:
I called the bookstore Thursday, and the clerk told me the AP Stylebooks should be in by early next week at the latest.

It’s also come to my attention that Amazon has removed the rental option for “Aim For the Heart.” Here’s another way to rent an electronic version, which would get you access to the book for 90 days (plenty of time) for less than $20.

https://www.redshelf.com/book/881578/aim-for-the-heart-881578-9781506315263-al-tompkins

Any questions? Please let me know — otherwise, enjoy your weekend, and we’ll see you Monday morning!