08 Feb

Get ready for Week 4

Cross your fingers that next week we FINALLY get to hold lecture and two labs and that we’re in Vilas for all of them! I realize the situation with Vilas Hall has been disruptive — and it will continue to be, as we will be out of our 5th floor offices for a while yet — and am sorry this is how your J-School experience began. But part of the learning experience of this course is learning how to manage in changing circumstances, and so we can look at it as part of that lesson.
Here’s my top news for the week…
IS pitches are mostly approved, although some need a repitch
This is a REALLY IMPORTANT IS update: Jesse and I have been through all of the pitches and have communicated with many of you about your ideas. You’ll need to check status of your pitch on the spreadsheet before you get going on your source list. If it says “Repitch” next to your name, you should have heard from me about needing to come up with a new idea. Please look for that email and get back in touch with me about moving forward with another topic.
Instructor on the move
My Monday office hours will be in Vilas 2122 (one of the J202 labs) — I’m still working on a spot for Thursday, but I’ll update the J202 site once I know where.
Here’s what else you need to know for Week 4:

What we’ll talk about next week:
News forms
Lecture Monday 9:30 a.m. in Vilas 2195 (be ready for Quiz 1 starting at 9:30 a.m. — no practice quiz this week!)
What to do for Monday:
Do the Week 4 readings
Turn in your IS source list by the time lecture starts
Check the #J202 hashtag on Twitter in addition to your regular news and information sources
Get to know your AP stylebook a bit! (Read a news story and circle all of the things you notice are written according to AP style)
What to do for Lab 1: 
Watch the Ethics Module before Lab 1 and be prepared to talk about the decisions you made
Do the Practice Points News Writing assignment and be ready to talk about it
Work on rewriting that mess of a story we gave to you — you’ll finish it in lab
Individual story:
Your IS source list is due at the start of lecture in Week 4
Your next IS piece, the Listicle, is due at the start of lecture in Week 5
See my note at the top of this email about your pitch ^^^^
Portfolio blog:
Post your contact information to your portfolio blog by 11:59 p.m. Wednesday
Professional practice events (remember you need to attend two, you can go to more for extra credit):
Monday, Feb. 11, 5 p.m.: Ayesha Rascoe from NPR talk “Criminal Justice Reform: What’s Next at the Federal Level,” Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery DeLuca Forum
Tuesday, Feb. 12, 4-7 p.m.: Advertising and Communications Career Fair, Union South
Thursday, Feb. 14, 12:30 p.m.: Brown bag lunch with Ayesha Rascoe of NPR, Vilas 2195
If you want to get ahead:
We’re going to talk more about interviewing in Week 6, but because some of you will start to do interviews for your IS before that, you may want to do some of the readings on interviewing. I posted them in the Week 4 list, so you can see them there (those wouldn’t be on this quiz, but they may be in Week 6).
Any questions? Please let me know or search the J202 site. Otherwise I’ll see you Monday morning!