17 Mar

Update on the rest of the semester

Hi everyone — I wanted to follow up on the chancellor’s message this afternoon that alternate delivery of coursework will be extended throughout the rest of the semester. While I had been anticipating this, I’m still processing what it means — and reeling a bit — and I’m sure you are, too.

As I told you the first time I met you, I’m in J202 as deep as you are (and so are your TAs), and we will do everything we can to deliver the best J202 experience we can under the circumstances. This is a difficult time, to say the least, and your J202 semester is going to be different than any other. But you’ll still learn a lot of valuable professional lessons about crisis management and working with teams in challenging situations. This part of the semester was already going to feel different from the first eight weeks. Because we were shifting away from in-class assignments to work that’s more self-directed, much of what we were going to do will remain the same.

Our plan for the week after break remains the same, so please be prepared to get going on Week 9 stuff after you turn in your drafts on Monday morning. (As I said before, please do your best on the drafts, but if there are holes because of missing interviews, please make note of that in your draft.) In the meantime, your TAs and I are working out how to pull off the rest of the semester. If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions, you can submit them to the form I shared last week at go.wisc.edu/j202remote.

If you haven’t read the chancellors’ message, please check it out. There’s important guidance there for those of you who are debating whether to return to campus. Also, I may have jumped the gun on Adobe access — apparently that’s still in progress, but I should have details soon about to access it.

I’m really sorry all of this was happening — this isn’t the semester any of us wanted to have. Please take care of yourselves and your families — stay home(!), find something that makes you happy, wash your hands, listen to public health officials and stay tuned for more information.

Stacy