23 Mar

Week 9 materials and directions

Thanks to all for your flexibility — like I said in one of my earlier emails, the timing for this happening now is better than later in the semester. Much of the work you were going to do was going to shift to more independent learning (still with assists from your TA, Gill and me), and I know you’re ready for that. So, let’s get this going!

Here’s what you need to do this week — remember, everything is due by Friday, March 27, at 11:59 p.m.

• Watch these two video lectures: Intro to ASFs (15 minutes long) and Types of ASFs (12 minutes long. You can find these videos by scrolling to the bottom of this post and watching the embedded versions here or by going to the “My Media” tab on the left side in Canvas.
  • Do the ASF training exercise and follow the directions (this is a must — follow them very carefully!) to make a timeline and story map, then fill out this form verifying you’ve done the training. If you don’t do the training, you’ll lose two points from your portfolio blog assignment (see next item).
  • Read the portfolio blog assignment for “The Story of You” and watch this video with advice from your TAs about how to approach the assignment. This assignment is due Friday, March 27, at 11:59 p.m. by adding your information to this spreadsheet.
  • Read your TA’s instructions for signing up for an appointment this week to consult on your IS and the ASF assignment. (Note: This meeting will replace the group analytics assignment from week 9 — you will receive a zero if you don’t meet with your TA this week.)
  • Keep working away on your IS, but please let us know if our changed circumstances will affect your ability to complete any of the remaining assignments. Your audio stories and ASFs are due on Monday, March 30, at 9:30 a.m. Check out this list of ASF tools for help deciding how to create your two IS pieces.
  • Seek me out for help. I will have office hours Monday from 10-11 a.m., Wednesday from 10 a.m. to noon, Thursday from 7-8 p.m. and Friday from 1 to 3 p.m. You can reach me through GoogleMeet. You don’t need an appointment, but if you want to reach out and let me know when you’ll be connecting, that would be great. I will also be watching the discussion boards on the J202 Canvas page, so you can ask questions there, too.
  • If you need technical help with Adobe Audition, Premiere or WordPress, you can still seek out assistance from STS. Sign up for a virtual appointment here.

Week 10 is still evolving, but expect that it will look much like this week — we’ll get you the materials you need for the week on Monday. We’re also still in the process of retooling the final project, but we’ll have more info for you about that net week, too.

ALSO this is really important so I’m telling you now: Please plan on being available for a live, online meeting with your lab on Monday, April 6, from 10-11 a.m. That’s when your lab will be meeting virtually to decide on the direction you’ll take for your final project, and we need to try to have everyone participate in those discussions.